symptoms of winter depression
- Gloomy feelings that start in the fall or winter
- Lack of energy and an increase in sleepiness during the day
- Increased appetite, especially for carbs (for example, sweets and chocolate)
- Weight gain
- Increased desire to be alone
- Feeling sleepy
- Unable to sleep at night
While these symptoms may be related to winter depression or SAD they may also be the result of another condition such as anaemia, certain infections, metabolism disorders, diabetes. Therefore always consult your doctor for confirmation that these symptoms are not related to another disease.
While the most optimal solution would be to live in a country with no seasons, there are more practical ways to get more light.
- Go out for a half-hour every morning between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- Go out for lunch If you work indoors, sit as close to the window as possible
- Get special and stronger lamps for your home
- Don’t stay in every night. Enjoy an outdoor activity and welcome the cold
- Make sure you get enough sleep
Even though there are practical solutions to get more light in your life, these only work in the short term. Long periods without regular exposure to sunlight can worsen the symptoms of winter depression.
The answer is to look for extra and constant light during these periods: UV light therapy, also known as tanning.
benefits of tanning
Indoor tanning machines offer the same benefits as the sun but in a controlled environment. Solariums maximise the sun’s benefits while minimising the risks of either too much or too little exposure.
- Increase Vitamin D levels: studies show that sunbeds allow you to expose your entire skin, as such amplifying the body’s Vitamin D production
- Feel happy: the UV Light helps our bodies to produce extra endorphins and serotonin
- Boost immune system: UV lights reduces the chances of getting the flu and prevents several types of autoimmune diseases
But there are tons of other benefits of tanning besides treating winter depression. Read them all here.